The operations of the Town of Erin's water systems are regulated under the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Ontario Water Resources Act. Regulation 170/03 under the Safe Drinking Water Act dictates the monitoring and water quality checking that must be completed to ensure that the water supplied to the consumer is safe for consumption.
We are proud of the high quality of our drinking water, and continuously maintain an efficient system to ensure that all residents can rely on a water supply that is both plentiful and safe.
Town of Erin Water meters are read quarterly, March, June, September and December. Water bills are mailed at the end of each quarter and are due the last Wednesday of the following month (unless otherwise stated on the water bill). The rate, due date and other pertinent information is included on the water bill
If you are moving into a new residence in the Town of Erin and need to set up a new water account, please submit a Water Service change of occupancy request form.
Water Billing: The March 31, 2020 Water Billing Due Date can be deferred to June 30, 2020
PRE-AUTHORIZED PAYMENT PLAN: An 11 month plan based on your previous year's water billing total and reconciled in November. No payment withdrawn in December. Mid-year applications are accepted. Sign Up Here
ONLINE THROUGH YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION: Search "Erin (Town of)-Water". When asked for your account number, no spaces, dashes or dots. Please allow 3 to 3 business day processing time.
E-TRANSFER: Send your tax payment to email@example.com. Please identify your name, address and account number in the message box.
CHEQUE/ POST-DATED CHEQUE: Mail in, or drop off at Town Hall - 5684 Trafalgar Rd. Hillsburgh, ON. N0B 1Z0
AT YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION: Water payments may be processed by your financial institution with the water bill stub. Please allow 2 to 3 business days processing time.
Erin Library - 14 Boland Dr.
474 Wellington Rd. 18, Suite 100, Fergus, ON N1M 2W3
160 Chancellors Way, Guelph, ON N1G 5K1
Office is open all week, but samples must be there before 10:30 AM
180 Broadway, Orangeville, ON L9W 1K3
Contact the main service line at 1-800-265-7293 for more information.
Please contact your local health unit if your water test results come back as contaminated.
Enrollment in the pre-authorized payment plan is automatically renewed each year and information about the next year's payment amount will be sent to you.
- If, for any reason, a payment is returned, you will be subject to a finance charge and applicable penalties. The amount of the returned payment plus finance charge and applicable penalties will be added to your next month's payment. If any two payments should be returned, your enrollment in the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan will be terminated.
If, for any reason, you wish to be removed from this payment plan, or if your banking information changes, you must notify the Town Office in writing at least thirty (30) days before the next pre-authorized payment is due.
- Water your lawn and garden in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler to minimize evaporation.
- If water runs off your lawn easily, split your watering time into shorter periods to allow for better absorption.
- Spreading a layer of organic mulch around plants retains moisture and saves water, time and money.
- Adjusting sprinklers so only your lawn is watered and not the house, sidewalk, or street.
- Use sprinklers for large areas of grass. Water small patches by hand to avoid waste.
- Collect water from your roof to water your garden.
- Rather than following a set watering schedule, check for soil moisture two to three inches below the surface before watering.
- Remember to check your sprinkler system valves periodically for leaks and keep the sprinkler heads in good shape.
- When kids want to cool off, use the sprinkler in an area where your lawn needs it the most.
- Use sprinklers that deliver big drops of water close to the ground. Smaller water drops and mist often evaporate before they hit the ground.
- Wash your pets outdoors in an area of your lawn that needs water.
- Aerate your lawn at least once a year so water can reach the roots rather than run off the surface.
- Use rain barrels to water your lawn of gardens.
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveways and sidewalks.
Related Articles, Documents and By-Laws
- Town of Erin Operation Plan - 2022
- Directors Directions for Operational Plans - May 2021
- DWQMS (Drinking water quality management system policy)
- The elements of the DWQMS
- Water service area map - Erin
- Water service area map - Hillsburgh
- Annual Water Reports
- Town of Erin Water System Financial Plan - May 2015
- Water Rates By-Laws
- Water Rate Study 2019
- Service Agreement with Ontario Clean Water Agency