Be Fire Safe!
- Cooking is the leading cause of fires during the holidays. Always stay in the kitchen while cooking!
- Heating equipment is the second leading cause of fires during the holidays. Heating systems and chimneys should be inspected and cleaned annually by a qualified service technician.
- Smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires during the holidays. Butt-out cigarettes in large, deep ashtrays.
- Alcohol is a factor in approximately one in five fatal fires during the holidays. Drink responsibly during the holiday season.
Learn more about Holiday Safety
How do I keep myself and loved ones safe?
- Ensure woodstoves, fireplaces an fireplace inserts are installed by a qualified technician according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Have your heating system, vents and chimneys inspected and cleaned annually by a qualified service technician.
- Ensure all outside heating vents are not blocked.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every storey of your home - test them every month.
Learn more about Fire Safety