Development Approval Process

Guide to development process in Erin

To view the Planning Fee By-law, click here.

Please note that deposits paid will be used towards any consultant fees associated with the review of the application(s). If the consulting fees are greater than the deposit, the applicant is responsible for the difference. A refund will only be provided if there are any funds remaining.

Applicants are required to consult with Planning staff prior to submitting the following development applications:

  • Official Plan Amendment
  • Zoning By-law Amendment
  • Site Plan Control

The owner of the property, or authorized agent, must meet with staff from the Town and any applicable commenting agencies to discuss the proposed development application. Staff will discuss the proposal and the requirements to submit a complete application (i.e. required plans and technical studies).

Download the Request for a Pre-Consultation Form

Please submit your request for a Pre-Consultation to

Please contact the County of Wellington to discuss amendments to the County’s Official Plan.

An official plan amendment is a formal document that changes a Town’s Official Plan. If an applicant wants to develop a property differently than the Official Plan prescribes, they must apply for a site-specific Official Plan Amendment. Official plan amendments are approved by Town Council and the County of Wellington.

The Erin Official Plan implements the Planning Act, other Provincial plans and policies, and the Wellington Official Plan. It sets out the land use policy direction for long-term growth and development in a municipality.

View the Town of Erin’s Official Plan and Schedules.

Download the Official Plan Amendment Application form

Please submit your Official Plan Amendment Application to

A Zoning By-law implements the Official Plan and provides for its day-to-day administration. A Zoning By-law contains specific requirements that are legally enforceable and the Town can refuse a building permit for any construction or new development that does not comply.

A zoning by-law is not a static document and can be changed. A zoning by-law amendment is a process which is required in order to make a change to the zoning by-law. A zoning by-law amendment, or rezoning, can change the permitted use of land, maximum number of units permitted in a building, minimum lot area or width, distance between the lot line and the building, parking requirements and other zoning provisions. Any requested change to the zoning by-law will need to conform with the Town of Erin’s Official Plan, the County’s Official Plan and Provincial Plans and Policies. Zoning by-law amendments are approved by Town Council.

View the Town of Erin’s Zoning By-law and Schedules.

Download the Zoning By-law Amendment Application form

Please submit your Zoning By-law Amendment Application to

A subdivision is when you divide a piece of land into smaller lots or blocks and secures the owner’s responsibilities for development through a subdivision agreement. A plan of subdivision is generally required where more than three lots, new roads or extensions to existing roads or services are proposed.

The Condominium Act allows for the creation of different types of ownership for a multi-unit development, such as Standard Condominium, Common Elements Condominium and Vacant Land Condominium. If an applicant wants to sell individual units as condominium units, they must obtain Plan of Condominium approval.

The County is responsible for the review and approvals for plans of subdivision on behalf of the Town of Erin (see subdivision process chart).

Download the Draft Plan of Subdivision and Condominium Application form

Please submit your Draft Plan of Subdivision Application to the County of Wellington.

All lands within Erin are subject to site plan control with some exceptions (see Site Plan Control By-law 01-32). Site Plan Approval is a form of development control provided to municipalities by the Planning Act. Site plan control allows the Town to review and approve development details for a property such as building location; massing and exterior design of buildings; loading and parking facilities; landscaping; grading and servicing; and accessibility and sustainable design matters in order to ensure that the Town’s, the County’s and other agency requirements are satisfied.

No one should undertake any development, which is subject to site plan control unless the Town has reviewed and approved certain plans. Once the plans are approved, a site plan agreement is generally executed. This agreement contractually binds the developer to develop and maintain a site in accordance with the approved plans and the terms of the agreement.

Please read the Site Plan Approval application form and ensure all requirements have been met prior to submitting your site plan application.

Please submit your application for Site Plan Approval to

Minor variance applications are approved by a committee of members of the public, appointed by Town Council (Committee of Adjustments).

There are 2 specific types of zoning variances that the Committee of Adjustment may consider:

  1. The applicant seeks relief from a specific zoning by-law requirement, such as a reduction in minimum yard setback or an increase in maximum permitted building height.
  2. The applicant seeks to expand or change an existing lawful non-conforming use. A lawful non-conforming use is a use on a property which does not comply with the existing zoning by-laws, but which has been in existence prior to the by-law coming into effect. No change is permitted to a lawful non-conforming use other than complete removal and compliance with existing zoning unless a variance is granted.

Note:  As of July 1, 2016, changes to the Planning Act prohibit an applicant from making an application for a minor variance from the provision of a by-law passed within the last two years.

The minor variance follows a legally prescribed schedule for processing. To ensure the application is processed as quickly as possible, and meets all process deadlines, your application forms, drawings and sketches should be neat, legible and as accurate as possible.  All drawing or location dimensions must be presented in metric.

For more information, please visit our minor variance page. 

Applications for land severance into two or more parcels, including plans of subdivision and condominium, must be made through the County of Wellington. The County is responsible for the review and approvals for all consent applications on behalf of the Town of Erin.

Download the Consent Application form.

Please submit your Consent Application to the County of Wellington.