Building Permit Process

Building Permit Process

In the Town of Erin you are required to get a building permit application before any new construction or renovation project on you property is conducted. Please see the following guide that will help you determine if you will need to obtain a building permit.

  • The construction, renovation, extension, or demolition of any building or structure.
  • Structural work including alterations to interior partitions, installation of skylights, the addition or enlargement of windows, doors or dormers.
  • Constructing or finishing rooms in the basement or attic, converting garage space into living space.
  • Creating an accessory apartment in an existing dwelling.
  • Raising a dwelling or excavating a crawl space to provide full basement (underpinning foundation)
  • Construction or installation of storage sheds larger than 14.96m² (161 ft²)
  • Construction or installation of any structure over 10m² (108 ft²)
  • Any structure, regardless of size, that contains plumbing or is attached to the main building
  • Some designated structures such as retaining walls greater than 1m in height.
  • The installation of solar panels with an aggregate face area of 5m² (53.8ft²) or greater.
  • Installation of a new heating or ventilation system.
  • Installation of a solid fuel burning appliance (wood burning stove or fireplace)
  • Installation of a furnace using a new fuel source.
  • Installation of non-residential are conditioning systems.
  • Installation, alteration, extension, or repair of on-site sewage systems.
  • Modification to site services (water or sewage lines)
  • Temporary tents greater than 60m² (646 ft²)
  • Installation of a swimming pool (in-ground or above ground)
  • Installation of a temporary and/or portable building.
  • Vertical or horizontal bunker silos and grain bins.
  • Manure storage structures.
  • New or expanding livestock facilities.
  • Change of use of a building (example converting a farm storage building to a residential detached garage)
  • Relocation of an existing building.
  • Storage sheds that do not exceed 14.96m2 (161 ft2)
  • Other detached structures less than 10 m2 (108 ft2)
  • Decks that are less than 0.61m (2 ft) to grade
  • Air conditioning units for a residential dwelling
  • Kitchen/Bathroom Cabinetry (no plumbing)
  • Retaining walls less than 1m in height
  • Replacement furnaces where the output and fuel source will not change
  • Replacement roof shingles on a residential dwelling
  • Painting, decorating, or general maintenance
  • Paver stone and landscaping
  • Redoing installation
  • Replacing plumbing fixtures
  • Replacing a furnace

Did you know that construction projects that do not require a building permit are still required to conform to the applicable zoning regulations? Whether the project is large or small, contact the Building Department at 519-855-4407 ext. 240.

Please note that the Town of Erin Building Permit Application process is 100% paperless. Applications must be submitted using Cloudpermit.

Prior to submitting an application, please check the applicable conservation authorities regulated area mapping and if you are within a Source Water Protection Area, to determine if you require their approval(s):

Agency approval is required prior to the issuance of a building permit.

Please be advised that any new development within the Urban Areas of Erin and Hillsburgh, must connect to municipal water, where available.

To find out if your property must connect to municipal water, please email

If you plan to build, renovate or demolish please apply for a building or septic permit through Cloudpermit, online:

  1. Register for an account:
  2. Once registered, login with your email address and password
  3. Submit your building permit

For assistance with the submission process, please watch the instructional video - how to submit a building permit.

For further assistance, please see the applicant user guide.

To find out what drawings and documents are required for your application, please visit Guides and Documents.