History of Erin Village

Old Mill in Erin

There is controversy over the first settler and founder of Erin Village and the founding date. C. J. MacMillan felt that one of his relatives, Daniel MacMillan, was the first settler. However, accounts in both the historical atlas of Wellington County and the Credit Valley report tend to corroborate the fact that the first sawmill was built by the Trout family in 1826 at the lower dam. This sawmill eventually fell to a Mr. William Chisholm. Daniel MacMillan bought the Trout sawmill after having previously rented it. Nevertheless, the man responsible for the growth of the village was indeed Daniel MacMillan, aided by his brothers Hugh and Charles. The village's original name was Macmillan's Mill then changed to Erinsville in 1851, which was later shortened to Erin.

Download the full History of Erin Village