Building Permit FAQ’s

When do I need to get a building permit?

A building permit is required whenever you plan to construct a structure that is 108ft2 in size or greater, and/or the structure is attached to another structure. A permit is also required whenever structural renovations are being done or anytime the use of a building is changing. A building permit is also required for the installation of a pool, as all pools are required to be fenced. Please contact the Building Department if you have any questions.

Does the Town have any records regarding the septic system for my property? If so, where is the septic system located?

The Town does have records dating back to the 1950’s regarding septic systems, however, not all records can easily be matched to a property. Call the Building Department and a search for records can be done.

How often should I have the septic tank serviced?

Generally, the septic tank should be pumped every 3-5 years, depending on the size or capacity of the tank, the flow of wastewater entering the tank and the volume of solids.

What size of garage can I build on my property?

The size of garage is limited to the zoning of the property and whether or not there are other accessory structures existing at time of application. The total lot coverage of all accessory buildings on a lot shall not exceed 10% of the total lot area.

Does the Town have records of the well on my property?

The Town does not have well records. You should contact the Ministry of Environment.

I have recently bought a vacant lot in the Town of Erin. I am wondering what the civic address is?

A civic address is not assigned until an entrance permit has been applied for and issued. If the property is located on a Town of Erin road, the application is available from the Town of Erin Roads Department (519-855-4407, ext. 227. If the property is on a county road, then a permit must be obtained from the County of Wellington (519-837-2601). Once a permit has been obtained, provide a survey or sketch showing the exact location of the driveway to the Building Department and a civic number will be ordered.

I want to build a barn to house livestock. What is involved in obtaining a building permit?

If the proposed barn has the capacity to house more than 5 animal units or the proposal is to expand an existing livestock housing facility, then a Nutrient Management Plan Approval from the Ministry of Agriculture and Food will need to be completed and submitted along with the building permit application. There are minimum distances from lot lines and neighbouring residences that also need to be met and will be checked upon application.

What is the zoning of my property and what uses are permitted?

Zoning maps and the Town of Erin Zoning Bylaw 07-67 are available on our website.

How do I apply for a building permit? What information is required?

A building permit application is available on our website or at the Town office. Along with the completed application, a site plan and 2 sets of construction drawings are required. Additional information may be required depending on the proposed construction or location. Contact the Building Department to verify.

What is the cost of a building permit?

Building permit costs vary depending on the proposed construction. The minimum fee is $200.00.  For a full list of fees see Building Permit fees.

How long does it take to get a building permit?

Once an application is deemed to be complete, a building permit shall be issued within the time period set out in Building Code, Division C,

To be considered a complete application, the submission must be accompanied by all applicable documentation, all fees paid and must not contravene any applicable law.

A building permit for a residential alteration, addition, deck, garage, etc. is usually issued in 2 -3 weeks depending on the completeness of the application.


I am interested in installing a small wind turbine or solar collector to generate electricity.  Do I need a building permit?

Currently, a building permit is required if the solar collector or wind turbine is to be attached to a building in any way and is great than 5m2 in size.  A permit is reqquired for wind turbines having an energy output great than 3kw.  Please consult the following website for further information:

Who do I call for locates?

Utilities - Call Before You Dig - Locating Services:

Service Phone Number Website
Bell & Enbridge Gas 1-800-400-2255
Hydro 1-888-664-9376
Rogers Cable 1-888-344-2407
Water Department (Town) 519-855-4407 x 223