The first installments of your annual residential, farm and managed forest taxes are due the end of March and the end of May. The interim bill is based upon 50% of your previous year's total tax bill.
Once the tax rates have been set, the final tax amount for the year will be available.
- Final installments of the annual residential tax bills will be due the end of August and the end of October.
- Final installments of the annual commercial tax bills will be due the end of September and the end of November.
To avoid late payment charges, payments must reach our office by the due date, including payments made through the online banking system.
2016 Taxpayer Information Brochure
2016 Tax Rate By Law
- In person at the Municipal Office; by cash, cheque or by INTERAC.
- Mailed (unless there is a postal disruption) to 5684 Trafalgar Rd., Hillsburgh ON N0B 1Z0 (cheques only) made out to the "Town of Erin" Please do not combine other payments with the tax payment, taxes must be a seperate cheque, thanks.
- After hours payments may be deposited through the slot in the front door of the Municipal Office at 5684 Trafalgar Rd. (cheques only) made out to the "Town of Erin" Please do NOT combine tax payments with any other payments (ie: water) when writing your cheques. Tax payments must be made separately.
- If you are paying by cheque, please make it payable to "The Town of Erin" and record your assessment roll number on it (i.e. 23 16 000 001 1234 0000). Post-dated cheques are accepted.
- Payments are also accepted through your Financial Institution's telephone banking, ABM's (automated bank machines) and at the counter of most financial institutions. The micro-encoded tax stub must accompany the payment for the transaction to be completed.
- Payment through the internet is also available.
- ERIN (TOWN OF) - for property taxes
- Please include your complete roll number -i.e.: 2316 000 001 00111 0000
Please allow 5 business days for payment processing. Payments received by the Town of Erin after the due date wll be deemed a late payment.
- NEW - Credit Card Payment Option - online only through our website portal, access Plastiq, an online third party payment service provider, which allows you to use your credit card to make payments through their secure online system. A fee of 2.5% (Visa and American Express) and 2.25% (MasterCard) of the amount paid is levied by Plastiq for each transaction.
New Property Owners
Properties having homes built in the last three (3) years may still be assessed for the land portion only. (i.e. MPAC may not have had the opportunity to assess and add the value of the house, and any other building, to the assessment roll). Ultimately, MPAC will add the assessment relating to the building(s) to the property assessment and the Town will then issue a supplementary property tax bill. Property owners are cautioned they are responsible for any outstanding property taxes related to the un-assessed building back to the original date of occupancy. Landowners finding themselves in this position are strongly urged to make provisions for the payment of the outstanding taxes. The Tax Office can:
- Advise you if your assessment only covers the land portion of your property
- Estimate the full taxes for your property (land and buildings) so that you can budget accordingly.
Supplementary Tax Billing can be done at any time during the year. A supplementary tax bill may be issued when there is an increase in the value of your property. The increase may be a result of a newly constructed home, an addition to the house, the construction of a swimming pool, construction of a new building or a change in the class of a property. This change can be backdated to the date of the change to a maximum of (3) years.
Supplementary taxes are in addition to any other billing you may receive in the year. You will be notified from MPAC of the value of assessment and the effective date before you receive a supplementary bill from the Town. There is no exact time frame associated with this process.
For information concerning your property taxes please contact:
Jackie Detta, Tax Administrator
519-855-4407 Ext. 226
or email: email@example.com
If your mailing address has changed or the ownership of the property has changed, please notify the Tax Office in writing or fax the change to 519-855-4821. The Post office is returning misaddressed mail.
When you receive your assessment notice in November, you have an opportunity to contact Municipal Property Assessment Corporation if you feel that the information is incorrect.
To contact MPAC:
Toll Free: 1-866-296-MPAC (6722)
Fax: 1-866-297-6703 or
Or write to:
Municipal Assessment Corporation
P. O. Box 9808
Toronto, ON M1S 5T9
You can complete a "Request for Reconsideration" to have your assessment reviewed. These forms are available online at www.mpac.ca
Penalty and Interest Charges
If taxes are not paid on the due date(s), a penalty of 1.25% will be charged on the first day of each calendar month until paid. Interest of 1.25% per month or 15% per annum is charged on all arrears of taxes as of January 1st. Neither the Treasurer nor the Tax Department staff have the authority to waive the penalty charges. Tax payments are applied to the penalty/interest charges owing and then to the taxes starting with the oldest year.
Tax Certificates are available for $50.00. Please make cheques payable to "The Town of Erin".